Happy St. Patty’s Day!!!
I know I have been somewhat quiet on the blog lately…my 1x a week or 1x per every two weeks post has turned into a once a month post. If you are wondering why and missed my New Years posting I am now 7 months pregnant (just a lil over 10 weeks to go!!) and I have been way to tired to bake and let’s face it clean up so my posts have been slowly and slowly drifting farther and farther apart. But it being St. Patty’s Day and I myself being Irish felt the need to rally and post something special to celebrate my Irish heritage! Granted this is far from a traditional Irish dish but the sentiment is still there!
Being Irish, every year growing up my grandma made corned beef and cabbage for St. Patricks Day, which now that I have my own house and family I do as well. But of course no meal is complete without dessert! So for dessert tonight I decided to go for these lucky charm babies as my daughter LOVES the marshmallows in this cereal so I figured she would get a kick out of this dessert and really enjoy it. And lets face it I can not serve her a guiness inspired dessert just yet soooo marshmallow lucky charms it was!
To make these I took my traditional rice krispie recipe and just switched the rice krispies out for the lucky charms cereal…simple as that! And simple this recipe is…a great last minute dessert if you are looking for something to make for dessert tonight or maybe any St Patrick’s Day gatherings you may have coming up this weekend:).
And seriously, start to finish INCLUDING cleanup and some random internet browsing the whole process took 25 minutes!! 25 minutes folks… that is less time than a TV show!! I need to remind myself to make these or my favorite rice krispie treats more often!!
So just grab two bags of mini marshmallows, a box of Lucky Charms a stick of butter and 1/2 tsp of salt and you are good to go! Enjoy!
- 5 TBS salted butter
- 10 cups of mini marshmallows
- 6 cups of Lucky Charms Cereal
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1. Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large pan over medium heat melt butter.
- 3. Once butter is melted, add in 8 cups of marshmallows (keep the other 2 cups aside for later). Stir marshmallows in the butter until just melted. Remove from heat.
- 4. Stir in cereal and salt, until the cereal is evenly coated in the marshmallow mixture.
- 5. Now stir in the remaining 2 cups of mini marshmallows.
- 6. Pour the mixture into the pan and press evenly (I used wax paper sprayed with PAM). Let your treats sit an hour or so before you start cutting them out to let them set.
- 7. Spray your knife with PAM and cut out your treats to serve!
- 8. Enjoy!
- I would recommend making them the day you are going to serve them but I have also made them the night before, just be sure to wrap them a couple of times in saran wrap so they stay fresh.
- I normally use 2+ bags of marshmallows for cereal treats but this time I only had 2 bags of treats on hand so I measured out my two cups of marshmallows and set them aside and then melted the remaining marshmallows.
- And last but not least, make sure your marshmallows are fresh! If they have been sitting around awhile or close to your expiration date your cereal treats will not be as soft and fluffy!